Columbia University travels across town to take on another New York City team, St. John's, on Wednesday. The Columbia Lions are off to a 1-3 start while the St. John's Red Storm are 3-1 on the year. The Red Storm have won the last 4 meetings between these two, but haven't played since 2013. Tipoff is 7:00 p.m. ET on Wednesday at Carnesecca Arena in Jamaica, New York.
Columbia faces tough competitionThe Columbia Lions of the Ivy League are off to a 1-3 start this year. Columbia has not been easy on itself in non-conference scheduling. Two of their losses were to ACC teams Wake Forest and defending national champion Virginia. The Lions played Wake Forest well, losing by just 2 points, but they didn't fare as well against Virginia, who beat them 60-42. Mike Smith led Columbia with 16 points.
Their lone win came over Binghamton, who Columbia beat last week 75-63. Smith led the way again with 19 points and nine assists. The Lions drained 11 3-pointers in that game.Randy Brumant had 16 points and 10 rebounds along with two blocks. Jack Forrest had 14 points and went 4-for-4 from 3-point range. Ike Nweke added 11 points and six boards while Jake Killingsworth tallied 10 points.
"This was a good bounce-back game for us," said head coachJim Engles said, reported the Columbia web site."We lost two tough games on the road and it was nice to come home and hit some shots. We did a pretty good job defensively and got some really good performances with Randy (Brumant) getting a double-double, Mike (Smith) distributing the ball andJack Forresthitting 3's. We're still learning a lot, (but) the one thing we're learning is that we're a resilient group. We don't dwell on things and we come back and keep playing. We're displaying some toughness and I think that's a positive for us moving forward."
St. John's loses first gameThe St. John's Red Storm of the Big East is 3-1 on the year. But they haven't played the level of competition that Columbia has. In fact, they fell to Vermont by the score of 70-68. Vermont's Anthony Lamb hit the game-winner with two seconds left to win it. St. John's was down by 9 with about 3 minutes left but a furious rally fell short.
LJ Figueroa led St. John's with 14 points and 10 rebounds. he also made three 3-pointers. Forward Josh Roberts had 8 points and 13 rebounds while Mustapha Heron added 14 points. Also, Rasheem Dunn added 13 points and two assists. It was the first game for the transfer from Cleveland State. St. John's only shot 34.5 percent from the field and was 5 of 19 from three. Figeuroa and Heron lead St. John's averaging 18.5 points per game.
- Lions are 3-0-1 ATS in their last 4 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Lions are 3-0-1 ATS in their last 4 games vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Lions are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 games after scoring less than 50 points in their previous game.
- Lions are 7-1 ATS in their last 8 vs. Big East.
- Lions are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
- Lions are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 road games.
- Lions are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Lions are 5-2-1 ATS in their last 8 games overall
Trends are from Covers.com:
- Red Storm are 6-13 ATS in their last 19 games vs. a team with a winning % below .400.
- Red Storm are 3-7 ATS in their last 10 games overall.
- Red Storm are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games following a ATS loss.