It's a battle of the Peach State Wednesday on the hardwoods as the Georgia Bulldogs host the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. Georgia is off to a 3-0 start while Georgia Tech is 2-0 and 1-0 in the ACC. Georgia has won the last 4 meetings between these two, including a 70-59 win last year. Tipoff is Wednesday at 7:00 p.m. ET at Stegeman Coliseum in Athens, Georgia.
Georgia Tech improves to 2-0
After defeating ACC rival North Carolina State in the season opener, Georgia Tech followed that up with a 64-41 win over Elon last week. Sophomore Michael Devoe led the Yellow Jackets with 22 points, draining 3 three-pointers. Forward James Banks III added 11 points and 7 rebounds. Banks also had 6 blocked shots. Also, Khalid Moore had eight points, nine rebounds, five assists and three steals. Point guard Jose Alvarado missed the game but is expected back for this game.
The Jackets shot 38 percent from the field and went 17-of-27 from the free throw line. But the story of the game was their defense. They held Elon to just 22 percent shooting. Their defense was the story of the game. Over the last two years, Georgia Tech has held 20 opponents under 40 percent shooting from the floor. tech out rebounded Elon 49 to 46 and had 14 assists.
Georgia wins 3 straightThe Georgia Bulldogs have been known more for their football team in recent years, but the hoops team is off to a 3-0 start. The Bulldogs haven't played anyone yet, but in the games they've won, they've been crushing it. They scored 95 in beating Western Carolina, 95 in beating Citadel and 100 in beating Delaware State. They average 95 points per game, which is 4th in the country.
In the win over Delaware State, the Bulldogs shot 60 percent from the floor and 35 percent from three. they out rebounded Delaware State 40-29 and forced 19 turnovers while committing only 11. Forward Rayshaun Hammonds led the way with 26 points and 14 rebounds. Hammonds was a scintillating 11 for 14 from the field. Forward Amonze Ngumezi had 16 points on 7 of 10 shooting while guard Tyree Crump had 10 points and 4 assists. Freshman phenom Anthony Edwards had 6 points and 7 assists.
- Yellow Jackets are 2-5 ATS in their last 7 games following an ATS win.
- Yellow Jackets are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games following a straight up win of more than 20 points.
- Yellow Jackets are 1-5-1 ATS in their last 7 games after allowing less than 50 points in their previous game
Trends are from Covers.com:
- Bulldogs are 5-0 ATS in their last 5 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Bulldogs are 5-0 ATS in their last 5 games vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Bulldogs are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 games following a straight up win of more than 20 points.
- Bulldogs are 9-1 ATS in their last 10 non-conference games.
- Bulldogs are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 home games vs. a team with a road winning % of greater than .600.
- Bulldogs are 5-2 ATS in their last 7 home games.
- Bulldogs are 5-2 ATS in their last 7 vs. Atlantic Coast.