No. 2 Ohio State Buckeyes will make the trek east to Piscataway (NJ) to face the Rutgers Scarlet Knights in a Big Ten matchup that has conference and national playoff implications for the Buckeyes. Ohio St. needs to win their remaining three games to have a legitimate shot at making the college football playoffs. Meanwhile, Rutgers is mainly playing the rest of the season out as the Scarlet Knights sit at the bottom of the conference's East division standings at 0-6.
This is the sixth all-time meeting between Ohio St. -Rutgers. The Buckeyes have won all five of the previous encounters, taking last year's contest 52-3. OSU is 2-0 in games at Rutgers winning 49-7 in 2015 and 56-0 in 2017.
Ohio State looking past Rutgers?Ohio State starts the final quarter stretch of its season, which sees them on the road for two of the three remaining games. After this week, the Buckeyes will host No. 15 Penn State next week and then pays a visit to their arch-rivals Michigan Wolverines on Nov. 30. OSU (6-0) currently sits one game in-front of Penn State (5-1) atop of the Big Ten East division standings.
OSU won its 12th straight game with coach Ryan Day running the show. Ohio St. is coming off a decisive 73-14 victory over Maryland as the Buckeyes rushed for 383 yards, and their top-rated defense registered 11 tackles for losses along with seven sacks.
Relentless work ethic and the support of his brothers have pushed @jokudah through plenty of adversity. Now, he's one of the best defensive players in the nation.— Ohio State Football (@OhioStateFB) November 11, 2019
It's Jefe's time.#GoBucks #ToughLove #BIA pic.twitter.com/rXUlJX646X
Freshman Master Teague paved the way for Buckeyes against the Terrapins with a career-high 111 yards on 18 carries to lead four players totaling at least 75 rushing yards, marking the first time that OSU has accomplished that since 1976. J.K. Dobbins, who registered 90 yards on the ground against Maryland, needs113 more yards to move past Eddie George and into the third spot on the program's all-time rushing list.
The Buckeyes' best overall player might be defensive end Chase Young. The defensive stalwart, who has 13.5 sacks, missed the Maryland game due to a suspension. He'll miss one more game due to an NCAA rules violation, but will return next week to play against Penn State, the school announced on Wednesday. According to media reports, Young accepted a loan to help pay for his girlfriend to fly to watch Ohio State play in the Rose Bowl last season.
Rutgers has lost 18 straight Big Ten gamesRutgers is trending towards going winless in Big Ten Conference play for a second straight year. The Scarlet Knights have not won a conference game since defeating Maryland 31-24 on Nov. 4, 2017. Rutgers fell to Ilinois 38-10 in its last game on Nov. 2. Last week was the Scarlet Knights second bye week of the season, marking the first time that they have had two off weeks since 2014. Rutgers was defeated by Boston College 30-14 following its first bye of the campaign. The 10 points against the Illini was the team's most points against a Big Ten opponent this year.
Redshirt freshman Johnny Langan (48 of 89 for 498 yards, three touchdowns, six interceptions) has led the offense the past five games. Langan, who has tossed all three of his touchdown passes over the previous two games, has accumulated a total of 242 rushing yards and five touchdowns for the year. Leading rusher Isaih Pacheco (541 yards, six touchdowns) missed the game against Illinois with a foot injury and is considered questionable for this week's game. If Pachero misses another game, freshman Kay'Ron Adams (37 carries for 139 yards) and Aaron Young (34 carries for 137 yards) are expected to get the majority of carries against the Buckeyes.
The following trends are courtesy of Covers.com:
- Buckeyes are 9-0 ATS in their last 9 games after scoring more than 40 points in their previous game.
- Buckeyes are 8-0 ATS in their last 8 conference games.
- Buckeyes are 11-0 ATS in their last 11 games following a straight up win.
- Buckeyes are 9-0 ATS in their last 9 games following an ATS win.
- Buckeyes are 5-0 ATS in their last 5 games after allowing less than 100 yards rushing in their previous game.
- Buckeyes are 7-0 ATS in their last 7 games on fieldturf..
- Buckeyes are 5-0 ATS in their last 5 games after allowing less than 170 yards passing in their previous game.
- Buckeyes are 11-1 ATS in their last 12 games overall.
- Buckeyes are 10-1 ATS in their last 11 games following a straight up win of more than 20 points.
- Buckeyes are 13-3 ATS in their last 16 games after accumulating more than 200 yards rushing in their previous game.
- Buckeyes are 4-1 ATS vs. a team with a losing record.
- Buckeyes are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 road games.
- Buckeyes are 5-0 ATS in their last 5 meetings.
- Favorite is 5-0 ATS in their last 5 meetings.
- Scarlet Knights are 2-5 ATS in their last 7 games after allowing more than 200 yards rushing in their previous game.
- Scarlet Knights are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games after accumulating less than 170 yards passing in their previous game.
- Scarlet Knights are 1-5 ATS in their last 6 games following a straight up loss.
- Scarlet Knights are 1-5 ATS in their last 6 games following a ATS loss.
- Scarlet Knights are 1-5 ATS vs. a team with a winning record.
- Scarlet Knights are 1-5 ATS in their last 6 games after scoring less than 20 points in their previous game.
- Scarlet Knights are 1-6 ATS in their last 7 games following a straight up loss of more than 20 points.
- Scarlet Knights are 1-7 ATS in their last 8 games overall.
- Scarlet Knights are 1-7 ATS in their last 8 games on fieldturf.
- Scarlet Knights are 0-6 ATS in their last 6 conference games.